Applied Kinesiology (AK) was founded by American Chiropractor, Dr George Goodhart in the late 1960’s.
He found that by combining manual muscle testing with traditional chinese medicine and meridian theory he could effectively locate the cause of problems and treat them accordingly. Since then, kinesiology has been further developed by many different practitioners and has become the widely accepted technique that it is today.
Working with the theory that all problems have a structural, chemical or mental component, AK practitioners use muscle testing (biofeedback) to assess the body’s reaction to neuromuscular reflex points in relation to these. AK is designed to be used in conjunction with standard methods of diagnosis, such as clinical history, physical and orthopaedic examination findings, laboratory tests, and imaging to aid in developing a diagnosis of the unique condition of each person.
The technique works via the body's autonomic nervous system, to restore balance to the body’s self regulating and healing capacities. This allows the practitioner to identify and remove any blocks in the body’s ability to do its own healing. The process helps to reset parasympathetic (rest & digest) nervous system tone and aids clients to listen in to their body’s needs so that they can live their best life.
Often described as “hitting the reset button on the body’s internal computer”, many clients report that after a session they feel like their body is more ‘switched on’ and that they are better able to adapt to life’s daily stresses.
Kinesiology may help you to manage a number of body systems, such as:
- Reset stress response (autonomic nervous system tone)
- Support detox processes
- Re-establishes blood sugar regulation
- Regulation organ - centred problems
- Manage fatigue & sleep disturbances
- Release emotional ‘scar tissue’ held in the body which may be resulting in dysfunction in the body and the client’s life as a whole
- Treating “Extra-vertebral subluxation” or “programming errors” (ie. there is structural integrity but things just aren’t switched on)
- Recommendations for return to healthy lifestyle